5 Building Permit Questions with Chicago Project Manager Dave
Posted by Valeria Macias
This week we sat down with David Weise, Senior Project Manager, from our Chicago office and asked him a few questions regarding his permit expediting experience.
1. How long have you been a permit expediter and what is your area of expertise?
I've been an expediter for a little over 6.5 years. I have experience in all types of building permits: self-certification, standard plan review, and developer services.
2. When working on an application what is the best approach with initial submittals?
You always want a complete and accurate application and drawings for your initial submittal. It is better to take your time in getting in right the first time than to hastily submit them only to be denied.
3. If you had to give one piece of advice on the geotechnical review process what would it be? Be scrupulous in your review and preparation of drawings for compliance with the initial geotech requirements list. Once the project team has had a chance to review the list, it is best to schedule a conference call as soon as possible so that everyone understands their responsibilities. You greatly reduce your chances of being denied if you simply provide everything on the list the first time and in the manner in which everything must be provided.
4. Today, what’s your biggest challenge and how are you solving it? Keeping track of the requirements and preferences of all employees in the various City of Chicago departments. As requirements and rules change, I update a running list so as to mitigate the chances of delays. Delays are often caused by not providing plans and documents exactly as the city wants them. The goal is to always get everything right the first time.
5. When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing with your spare time? Reading and watching/listening to music.
Do you have questions regarding a project in the City of Chicago? Reach out to our team for assistance!