5 Building Permit Questions with LA Project Manager Adriana
Posted by Valeria Macias
This week we sat down with Adriana Cervantes, Project Manager, from our Los Angeles office and asked her a few questions regarding her permit expediting experience.
1. How long have you been a permit expediter and what is your area of expertise?
I've been with Burnham for two years; one as an assistant project manager and one as a project manager.
2. When working on a build out application or other application what is the best approach with initial submittals? How does it differ from additions?
When working on any application, it's best to confirm the information that you're submitting with your main point of contact for the design team and also with the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) to avoid delays or miscommunications. Be clear and concise - written communication is best!
3. If you had to give one piece of advice on the permit management process what would it be? Organization is key, as it will make it easier to access project information on request and will help create clear communication when sharing permitting progress with the project design team. The more organized that you are, the easier that it will be for your colleagues to assist you if needed.
4. Today, what’s your biggest challenge and how are you solving it?
One of the biggest challenges I'm facing today is the delay in communication with AHJs because of current quarantine guidelines but I'm doing my best to solve this issue by getting as much information from them as possible whenever I do have them on the phone or getting email responses. I'm clear and concise about the information that I need so that I make the most of the little time that I have with them.
5. When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing with your spare time?
When I'm not working, I typically focus on my schooling, as I'm an architecture major. I enjoy spending free time with my parents, siblings, niece, nephew, and God Daughter, as well as watching documentaries, discovering new music with friends, pampering myself, dancing, and cuddling with my spoiled cat, Shogun O'Malley.