NYC DOB: Build Expansion Guidelines
Posted by Tom Walsh
DOB NOW launched in Summer 2019 as New York City’s new Department of Buildings self-service online tool, created to increase efficiency and expedite the permit process. At the end of 2020, DOB NOW: Build will be expanding and receiving upgrades and Burnham is here to share changes and dates to look out for.
New DOB NOW: Build Work Types
- General Construction (GC) includes: Construction, Chimney, Façade Enlargement
- Foundation (FO) includes: Deep, Retaining Wall, Shallow, Tie Backs and Anchors, Underpinning
- Earthwork (EA) includes: Excavation, Landscape, Sitework (Grading and fill), Soil Improvement, Soil Improvements, Underpinning
- Support of Excavation (SE) includes: Berming/Sloping/Benching, Ground Freezing, Shoring/Bracing, Slurry Shaft/Wall, Soil Grouting/Improvement/Mixing, Tangent/Secant Piles, Tie backs and Anchors
- Protection & Mechanical Methods (PM) includes: Chute, Cocoon, Hoisting Equipment, Mechanical Demolition Equipment, Platform, Roof Overhead Protection, Roof Protection
New DOB NOW: Build Additions
- Composite permits
- Site Safety Plan
- Tenant Protection Plan
- Supersede & Withdrawal of Applicant of Record or Contractor/Licensee
- New features (improved search, exporting jobs, etc.)
DOB NOW Training
- FIlings in DOB NOW: Intended for Design professionals and Filing representatives. NYC DOB will host six online training sessions between December 10 - December 30.The sessions will cover the new work types and improved features.
- Permits in DOB NOW: Intended for Contractors & Licensees. NYC DOB will host six online training sessions between December 11 - December 30. The sessions will cover requesting and renewing permits, new contractor requirements, contractor withdrawal and improved features.
- All Audiences requiring Tenant Protection Plan or Site Safety Plan: NYC DOB will host two online training sessions on December 23 and January 7, 2021.Note: the ‘Filings in DOB NOW’ course should be taken prior to taking this course. The sessions will cover Tenant Protection Plans and Site Safety Plans.
- Supersede & Withdrawal in DOB NOW: NYC DOB will host two online training sessions on January 5 and January 7, 2021. Note: the ‘Filings in DOB NOW’ course should be taken prior to taking this course. The sessions will show users how to use the superseding and withdrawal functions.
The free training sessions that the Department of Buildings are offering are intended to help industry members and the general public to learn more about DOB NOW. If you have any questions or need assistance through the process, please contact our team! We’re in this together.